Name: Doyle, James E. Star: 9093 Memorial Panel #:  8 Rank: Patrolman District / Unit:  006th District End of Watch: 5 February 1982 Incident Details: Probationary Patrolman James E. Doyle was an 8-month veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Bureau of Administrative Services – Training Division Unit 044, detailed to the 006th District – Gresham. On February, 5, 1982, at approximately 10:00 PM, Officer Doyle and his partner, Patrolman Robert M. Mantia, were in their marked police car when a citizen approached them. He informed the officers that he had been a passenger on the route 79 CTA bus and recognized a man on board who had previously robbed him. The Officers boarded the bus at 28 West 79th Street near Lafayette Avenue and spotted the offender, Edgar Hope, who was carrying two concealed firearms. One of theses weapons was previously used during the murder and attempted murder of two Cook County Correctional Officers. As the officers approached, Hope fatally shot Officer Doyle in the head and injured two passengers. The gunman then turned and fired at the second officer, but missed. The second officer returned fire, striking Hope and preventing his escape. Officer Doyle was transported to St. Bernard hospital. Edgar Hope stood trial, was found guilty and sentenced to death. On January 10, 2003, the Governor at the time, George Ryan, commuted his sentence, along with those of all 167 other inmates on death row, to life in prison. Hope died from liver cancer at the Menard Correctional Center on March 24, 2012. Officer Doyle’s funeral mass was held at St. Denis Church and he was laid to rest in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, 6001 W. 111th Street, Alsip, IL. Probationary Patrolman, James E. Doyle, born December 12, 1947, received his probationary appointment to the Chicago Police Department on June 8, 1981 and was in recruit class 81-4C at the Jackson Street Police Academy. Officer Doyle served in the U.S. Marine Corps and was a veteran of the Vietnam War, serving two tours. He was also a member of the Fraternal Order of Police. He is survived by his fiancee, nephew, Patrick, sister, Mary Jo and mother, Rose, who passed away soon after her son’s death by what many describe as a “broken heart.” The death of Officer Doyle was the catalyst for changes in recruit training by the police department. Tragically, his passing would lead indirectly to the deaths of two other officers, Patrolman William P. Fahey and Richard J. O’Brien. The officers were shot and killed as they returned from Officer Doyle’s funeral.  


Name:  Jackson, Edward L. Star:  2790 Memorial Panel #: 25 Rank: Patrolman District / Unit: Vice Control Division Date of Injury: 14 October 1977 End of Watch: 10 March 2003 Incident Details: On October 14, 1977, Chicago Police Officers Alfred Williams, Rudolph Winston, Karl Manuel and Eddie Jackson of the Vice Control Division were assigned to a prostitution mission in the 800 block of north Clark Street. At approximately 1:00 AM, the officers arrested two females and placed in an unmarked patrol car being driven by Officer Jackson. As the patrol car turned onto LaSalle Street, the group encountered Lee Jones, who had just robbed a dice game located at a nearby pool hall. Jones was driving a 1977 gray Lincoln Continental which sped past the officers’ car, nearly striking it. Jones abruptly stopped his vehicle and allowed Officer Jackson to pull alongside. Following a brief verbal exchange, the offender raised a handgun and fired, striking Officer Jackson in the head. Jones then fled in the Lincoln and Officer Jackson was transported to Henrotin Hospital. A flash message was sent out on the offender’s vehicle which was spotted at 1000 W. Bryn Mawr and curbed by 023rd District officers. A search of the vehicle revealed the gun used to shoot Officer Jackson. Lee Jones was found guilty of attempt murder and aggravated battery. He was sentenced to 100 years in the Illinois Penitentiary where he remains today. As a result of the shooting, Officer Jackson was left paralyzed and blind in one eye. He eventually died from his injuries 25 years later on March 10, 2003. He is survived by his wife and daughter.    


Name: Stine, Charles Star: Unknown Memorial Panel #: Rank: Lieutenant District / Unit: Woodlawn Station End of Watch: 21 April 1952 Incident Details: Lieutenant Charles W. Stine, 72, was a 23 year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Woodlawn Station. On September 28, 1936 Lieutenant Stine was in Rehling’s Tavern at 203 E. 69th Street when parolees Norman Cravens, Clarence Lukesch and Fred Meyers attempted to rob the establishment. The offenders got into a shootout with Detectvie Nicholas Connelly and Lieutenant Stine who were each shot multiple times. The officers shot and killed Cravens during the shootout in which 25 bullets were fired. Lukesch and Meyers were arrested and the investigation revealed that they and Cravens had robbed 50 small businesses since they were all paroled. On November 11, 1936 Chief Justice Michael McKinley of the Criminal Court sentenced Lukesch and Meyers to life in prison. Lieutenant Stine never fully recovered from the shooting and suffered extreme pain and chronic nephritis. These medical complications all led to Stine’s early death on April 21, 1952.


Name: Zaccard, Loubet Star: Unknown Memorial Panel #: Rank: Detective District / Unit: Rogers Park Station End of Watch: 23 July 1946 Incident Details: Detective Loubet Zaccard, 47, was a 25-year veteran of the Chicago PoliceDepartment, assigned to the Rogers Park Station. On July 23, 1946, Detective Loubet Zaccard and his partner were on their way to a callbox to report back to their station when they saw Patrolman Donald J. McGinley struggling with a subject identified as 35 year old Charles Rayford. Rayford gained control over PO McGinley’s club and the patrolman withdrew his revolver. McGinley ordered Rayford to drop the club as Zaccard came behind Rayford and grabbed his arms. McGinley lunged forward and stuck Rayford in the head with the butt of his revolver. The handgun discharged and the bullet fatally struck Detective Zaccard in the face. Patrolman Donald J. McGinley was absolved from all blame in the shooting. Detective Zaccard was pronounced dead at St. Francis hospital in Evanston. He is survived by his wife Irene; two sons, Howard and Ronald, and a brother, Frank.


Name: Lynch, John T Star: 8005 Memorial Panel #: Rank: Police Officer District / Unit: Brighton Park Youth Division End of Watch: 19 December 1969 Incident Details: Youth Officer John T. Lynch, 54, was a 23-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Brighton Park area youth division. On December 19, 1969, Officer Lynch and partner, Frank Dabrowski, stopped their patrol car near 55th and Halsted when a man flagged them down for assistance. The man pointed out three teenagers who had been harassing him. The teens fled as the officers approached and Lynch and Dabrowski gave chase. Officer Lynch collapsed during the foot pursuit and fell to the sidewalk. He was rushed to the Evangelical Hospital where he was pronounced dead from a fatal heart attack. His funeral mass was at St. Ethelreda Church and he was laid to rest at Interment St. Mary’s cemetery. He is survived by his two daughter; Peggy and Donna.


    Name: Buck, William Star: 5498 Memorial Panel #: 13 Rank: Patrol Officer District / Unit: Shakespeare Street Station End of Watch: 28 November 1941 Incident Details: P.O. William Buck, 42, was a 17-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Shakespeare Street Station.On November 28, 1941, P.O. William Buck was on a routine patrol of the Shakespeare District with his partner, P.O. Ben Smith. As the officers approached the intersection of California Avenue and Cortland Street, their patrol car was struck by another vehicle being driven by Frank Corso. According to court records, Corso had been fined three times in the past year on speeding charges.P.O. Smith suffered minor injuries and P.O. Buck was rushed to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital. He expired shortly thereafter from injuries sustained during the accident.  


    Name: McGann, Patrick Star: 385 Memorial Panel #:  12 Rank: Lieutenant District / Unit: General Assignments Unit Area #3, CID End of Watch: 13 July 1977 Incident Details: Lt. Patrick J. McGann, Jr. was assigned to the Area 3 Detective Division. On July 13, 1977, Lt. Patrick McGann and other officers responded to a “burglary in progress” call at 3343 W. Columbus Drive. A suspect observed in the rear of that location and placed under arrest and three additional offenders were spotted on the roof of the building. Two climbed down, but the third, a female, had to be assisted from the roof and lowered into the outstretched arms of Lt. McGann, who placed her on the ground.No signs of forced entry were found and the interrogations revealed that the group was merely on the roof drinking beer. The four suspects were arrested and charged with minor drinking. After leaving the scene of the incident, Lt. McGann suffered a heart attack and crashed his patrol car into a utility pole at 59th and California. He was transported to Holy Cross Hospital where he expired. Lt. McGann is survived by his wife, Mary; five sons, Patrick, William, Timothy, Edward and John; daughter, Virginia; three grandchildren; a brother and two sisters.  


Name: Nicholas Connelly Star: unknown Memorial Panel #:  9 Rank: Detective District / Unit: Woodlawn Police Station End of Watch: 09 October 1962 Incident Details: Detective Nicholas Connelly, 55, was assigned to the Woodlawn Police Station. On September 28, 1936, Detective Connelly was involved in a shootout with parolees Norman Cravens, Clarence Lukesch and Fred Meyers who attempted to rob Rehling’s Tavern at 203 E. 69thStreet. Detective Connelly and Detective Charles Stine were each shot multiple times and Cravens died during the shootout in which 25 bullets were fired.Lukesch and Meyers were arrested and the investigation revealed that the group had robbed 50 small businesses since being paroled. On November 11, 1936, Chief Justice Michael McKinley of the Criminal Court sentenced Lukesch and Meyers to life in prison.Detective Connelly never fully recovered from the shooting and suffered extreme pain, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer and chronic lead poisoning from the two bullets that were left in his body. According to Dr. Nancy Jones, retired Chief Medical Examiner, these complications all led to Detective Connelly’s early death on October 9, 1962. Detective Connelly is survived by his wife, Eileen; sons, Patrick, Michael, Nicholas and daughter, Lynne.


  Name: P.O. Gary M. Gradle Star: 9366 Memorial Panel #:  15 Rank: Patrolman District / Unit: 004 Distrct End of Watch: 05 April 1996 Incident Details: Police Officer Gary M. Gradle, 38, was assigned to the 004thDistrict. On March 24, 1991, Officer Gary Gradle responded to a call of a man with a gun at 81st and Houston. Officer Gradle entered a dark garage and was shot point-blank in the chest, right below the sternum. He was saved by his bullet proof vest and able to return fire at the offender, who escaped. The officer was treated at South Chicago Community Hospital and made a full recovery. He was able to return to work in the 004thDistrict.On April 5, 1996, Officer Gradle was working the third watch on Beat 453 when he was discovered slumped over the wheel of his squad car gasping for breath. A CFD ambulance responded and transported the officer to St. Margaret Mercy Hospital in Hammond, IN. The officer expired several hours later. Officer Gradle is survived by his wife, Elizabeth, and their two children, Joseph and Claire.


Name: Robert F. Wenzel Star: 7495 Memorial Panel #:  23 Rank: Police Officer District / Unit: Traffic Division – Area 6 End of Watch: 19 January 1973 Incident Details: Police Officer Robert Wenzel, 36, was a 12-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Traffic Division – Area 6.In the early morning hours of January 19, 1973, Officer Wenzel curbed a vehicle for a minor traffic violation on Lake Shore Drive. As Officer Wenzel approached the vehicle, Richard Luckey, the driver, fired his weapon and struck the officer. Officer Wenzel returned gunfire and shot Luckey before he collapsed near his squad car. A City of Chicago engineering crew witnessed the incident and reported to police that Officer Wenzel had fired six shots before collapsing. Luckey alleged that he had an accomplice with him in the vehicle, named Joseph Lee Bolden or Bolten. According to Luckey, the two had just left a tavern and were looking for a location to rob when he was pulled over. However, Luckey’s allegations were never corroborated by witnesses. Luckey was injured and permanently paralyzed from the waist down. Officer Wenzel was taken to Augustana Hospital where he was pronounced dead upon arrival. Richard Luckey was found guilty and sentenced to serve 75-150 years in prison. He died in prison on June 26, 2011. Officer Wenzel was laid to rest in Acacia Park Cemetery. He was survived by his wife, Rose; children, Colleen, Daniel, Michael, and Robert; father, John; and his brother, John.


Name: Lynch, John F. Star: 11189 Memorial Panel #:  17 Rank: Police Officer District / Unit: 007 Distrct (Englewood) End of Watch: 19 August 1982 Incident Details: Police Officer John Lynch, 46, was a 20-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the 007 District. On August 19, 1982, Officer Lynch and his partner were at a residence processing a deceased body. The partners transported the deceased to St. Bernard Hospital when Officer Lynch suffered a fatal heart attack in the emergency room.Officer Lynch’s funeral mass was held at St. Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church. He is survived by his wife, JoAnn, and their children: Michael, James and Joan


Name: Roy A. Carney, Jr. Star: Uknown Memorial Panel #:  14 Rank: Detective District / Unit: Woodlawn Station End of Watch: 18 April 1958 Incident Details: Detective Roy Carney, 35, was a 10-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Woodlawn Station. On April 18, 1958, off-duty Detective Carney was in the tavern owned by his wife, Carrie, near 66th Street and Marquette Road. Two armed robbers entered and shot Det. Carney after he identified himself as a police officer and attempted to draw his weapon. Officer Carney was pronounced dead upon arrival at St. Bernard Hospital.James Davis, 26, and Larry Oden, 27, were convicted and sentenced to death in 1958. In 1961, they were found guilty for the second time and sentenced to serve 199 years in prison. Detective Carney is survived by his wife, Carrie, and his father, Roy Sr., (CPD).  


Name: Gregory R. Edwards Star: 4562 Memorial Panel #:  6 Rank: Police Officer District / Unit: 003 Distrct (Grand Crossing) End of Watch: 29 Sept 1987 Incident Details: Police Officer Gregory Edwards, 27, was a 13 month veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Grand Crossing District. On September 29, 1987, Officer Edwards was at a motel located in the 6600 block of South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, when Marvin Wright attempted to rob the motel’s occupants. Wright, 24, was seeking money in order to complete a drug deal. He turned the doorknob and attempted to gain entrance into the officer’s first-floor motel room. Officer Edwards opened the door and identified himself as a police officer. A quarrel ensued and the officer was shot twice. Marvin Wright was arrested near the scene and charged with murder. Police Officer Edwards passed away from the wounds he sustained at Bernard Mitchell Hospital.Officer Edwards is survived by two children. He is survived by his wife, Loretta.


Name: Keogh, Richard K. Star: Unknown Memorial Panel #:  24 Rank: Patrolman District / Unit: Motorcycle Division End of Watch: 27 September 1932 Incident Details: Police Officer Richard Keogh, 38, was a 14-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Motorcycle Division. On September 27, 1932, Officer Keogh was in-pursuit of a speeding vehicle on his police motorcycle.The officer was fatally injured when he collided with a vehicle at the intersection of Rosedale and Milwaukee Avenues. Officer Keogh died en route to Belmont Hospital. Officer Keogh’s funeral mass was held at St. Benedict’s Church and he was laid to rest in Calvary Cemetery. He is survived by his wife, Loretta.


Name: Sam, Sidney Star: 13524 Memorial Panel #:  23 Rank: Patrolman District / Unit: 0012 District End of Watch: 16 June 1971 Incident Details: On June 16, 1971, Police Officer Sidney Sam had finished working the 3rdwatch in uniform at the 012 District. Officer Sam put a gray jacket over his uniform and drove to 1531 S. Komensky arriving at approximately 12:30 AM. Officer Sam double parked his 1970 Buick Electra and was talking to a friend, who was outside of his car. Three offenders walked up to the car, approached the friend from behind, put a gun into her back and announced a robbery.At this time, Officer Sam began to reach down to his left side with his left hand, and the robber told Sam, “Don’t try for it.” At that time one of the offenders now known as Robert Dismukes began to shoot at Officer Sam through the open car window. After shooting Officer Sam, Dismukes pushed Officer Sam out from behind the steering wheel, got into the Buick and fled northbound in the vehicle with wounded Officer Sam still in the front seat. The other two offenders then fled on foot. Officer Sam was discovered dead in his Buick a short time later in an alley behind 1239 S Kedvale. Missing was Sam’s off duty .32 caliber revolver, his police star and identification. Subsequent investigation by Area 4 detectives revealed the identity of Robert Dismukes, Louis Allen and David Lee Johnson as the three offenders who robbed and killed Officer Sam. All three offenders were arrested and subsequently charged and convicted for First Degree Murder and Armed Robbery. Detectives recovered Officer Sam’s gun and his police star and identification. On December 20, 1971 Robert Dismukes was sentenced to 30 to 75 years in the Illinois Penitentiary, Louis Allen was sentenced to 20 to 50 years in the Illinois Penitentiary and David Lee Johnson was sentenced to 25 to 50 years in the Illinois Penitentiary Officer Sam is currently survived by his three daughters, Debra, Cindy and Daphne. Cindy is a Chicago Police Sergeant.

We Will Never Forget