Frank E. Dealy  | Star #539

Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 11 years, 8 months, 7 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: District 20, 32nd Precinct - West Chicago

District of Incident (Present Day): 012 - Near West

Location of Occurrence: Grand Avenue and Halsted Street

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 48


Date of Birth: 06 Feb 1866

Date of Appointment: 1903

Date of Incident: 05 Oct 1914

End of Watch: 05 Oct 1914

Date of Interment: 11 May 1834


Interment Details

 Cemetery: Mount Carmel Cemetery - Hillside, Illinois
 Grave Location: Section 3
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # B-3

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 1

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 1, Line 44

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 64-E: 12

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: No Military Record Found


Incident & Biographic Details

Detective Sergeant Frank E. Dealy, Star #539, aged 48 years, was an 11 year, 8 month, 7 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to District 20, 32nd Precinct – West Chicago.

On October 5, 1914, at 12:00 a.m., Detective Sergeant Dealy was on duty and working with his partner, Detective Sergeant Christopher Hughes. The Desk Sergeant had become ill and Hughes was called to fill in temporarily as the Desk Sergeant. Dealy decided to go out on patrol alone and arranged to meet up with Hughes a half-hour later. Hughes was just finishing up when he received a call informing him of a shooting that had occurred involving his partner.

At 12:20 a.m., Detective Sergeant Dealy was walking his beat when he observed two suspicious men sitting on a curb at Grand Avenue and Halsted Street. Sergeant Dealy decided to stop and question the men as to their business. When he approached them both men drew revolvers and began firing. Sergeant Dealy was struck four times in the abdomen and collapsed to the ground. Patrons in the surrounding businesses came out to investigate after hearing the gunfire. They saw what had just happened and several gave chase to the gunmen as they fled. The gunmen led the citizens on a foot pursuit and were able to make good their escape as they weaved in and out of railroad freight cars, eventually eluding their pursuers. At the same time, other citizens summoned for police. A police ambulance was dispatched. Upon arrival, Detective Sergeant Dealy said, “Call for my wife, send for a priest, I am dying.” He was transported to St. Elizabeth Hospital by CPD Ambulance where he was pronounced dead at 5:00 a.m. on October 5, 1914. His wife was at his bedside when he passed.

After the shooting, Dealy was able to identify one of the shooters as Chris Maratto of 1321 DeKoven Street. However, Dealy changed his mind saying he wasn’t sure and questioned his memory before falling unconscious. Dealy never awoke again and could provide no more details. A manhunt for the gunman started immediately after the shooting and eight suspects were arrested including: Fred Alred, age 18; Joseph Binbo of 835 South Racine Avenue; Joseph Colucci; Peter Dicoumacas, age 19, of 525 West Monroe Street; Chris Maratto, and John “Schultz” Sulinsky.

On November 5, 1914, Colucci and Sulinsky were held to the Grand Jury by the Coroner. On November 15, 1914, the Grand Jury returned No Bills on both men.

Detective Sergeant Dealy was waked at his residence located at 856 North Lawndale Avenue. He was laid to rest on October 8, 1914 in Mount Carmel Cemetery, 1400 South Wolf Road, Hillside, Illinois. His grave is located in Grave 3, Lot S37, Block 7, Section U.

Detective Sergeant Frank E. Dealy, born February 6, 1866, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on January 28, 1903 and was issued Star #3441. On November 12, 1913, he was promoted to the rank of 2nd Class Detective Sergeant, becoming effective by order of the city council on November 13, 1913. On April 1, 1914, he was issued Detective Sergeant Star #539.

Sergeant Dealy was survived by his wife, Gertrude and five children.

Incident recorded under Chicago Police Historical Homicide Database, Case #3393.