Young Clifton Hobson  | Star #11181

Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 10 years, 9 months, 1 day

Unit of Assignment / Detail: Bureau of Field Services - Detective Division (DD): Area 4 General Assignment Section

District of Incident (Present Day): 012 - Near West

Location of Occurrence: 1328 South Halsted Street

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 40


Date of Birth: 04 Dec 1927

Date of Appointment: 1957

Date of Incident: 03 May 1968

End of Watch: 03 May 1968

Date of Interment: 11 May 1834


Interment Details

 Cemetery: Restvale Cemetery - Alsip, Illinois
 Grave Location: Unknown
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # D-4

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 21

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 3, Line 17

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 45-E: 17

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: U.S. Air Force


Incident & Biographic Details

Detective Young Clifton Hobson, Star #11181, aged 40 years, was a 10 year, 9 month, 1 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Bureau of Field Services – Detective Division: Area 4 General Assignment Section.

On May 3, 1968, At 9:30 p.m., Detective Hobson, while off duty, was attempting to question Howard Lee Morris, age 38, after he observed a handgun stuck in the man’s belt while inside the Halsted Liquors Store located at 1328 South Halsted Street. Detective Hobson approached the Morris and began to ask him if he had authority to carry the firearm. Suddenly, a second gunman, David V. Walsh, age 22, drew a weapon and fired five shots. Detective Hobson was struck and mortally wounded. Both men then fled the scene northbound on Halsted Street in an attempt to make good their escape. Detectives Frank Haidinyak and Robert Gushi of the Maxwell Street Robbery Unit were passing by in their car when they heard a crowd shout that a man had been shot. The Detectives responded and observed the two men, with guns in hand, fleeing down the street. They gave chase and at 1315 South Halsted Street they captured Walsh and recovered a .38 caliber revolver. Morris continued on and ran Westbound on Maxwell Street, making good his escape. It wasn’t until after they arrested Walsh that Detectives Haidinyak and Gushi learned the identity of the man who was shot. Detective Hobson was transported to Presbyterian St. Luke Hospital by CFD Ambulance #1 where he was pronounced dead on arrival by Dr. Phillips at 10:05 p.m. on May 3, 1968.

On May 9, 1968, Howad Morris was arrested. David Walsh was held to the Grand Jury by a Coroner’ Jury, but was directly indicted by ASA William Martin. On June 5, 1968, the Grand Jury returned a true Bill on Walsh. On June 5, 1968, the case against Howard Morris was nolle prossed and he was released. Walsh stood tril and entered a plea of guilty during his trial. On July 18, 1968, Walsh was sentenced to 20 to 40 years in the Illinois State Penitentiary by Judge Robert J. Downing.

Detective Hobson was waked at Browns Funeral Home. He was laid to rest on May 15, 1968 in Restvale Cemetery, 11700 South Laramie Street, Alsip, Illinois.

Detective Young Clifton Hobson received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on July 1, 1957 and was issued Star #10148. On March 4, 1962, he was issued Patrolman Star #11181 after reporting his previous star lost. He earned 1 Award of Valor (Posthumously), 1 Blue Star Award (Posthumously) and 1 Honorable Mention during his career. Detective Hobson earned his promotion to Detective as a rookie in 1957 when he chased down and apprehended the killer of Detective Barney Halperin who was killed on December 20, 1957. Detective Hobson exchanged gunfire with Halperin’s killer and was able to fatally wound Detective Halperin’s killer.

Detective Hobson served in the U.S. Air Force for four years and was Honorably Discharged at the rank of Airmen with the title of Military Police Officer. He was survived by his wife, Ruby (nee Celene); son and siblings, Clima Lee and Louis Elaine (CPD). He was preceded in death by his parents: Gus and Linnie B. (nee Lewis).

Incident Recorded Under Chicago Police Department RD #F092385.