Arthur James Sullivan Sr. | Star #3911

Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 3 years, 3 months, 1 day

Unit of Assignment / Detail: 23rd District - Marquette

District of Incident (Present Day): 010 - Ogden

Location of Occurrence: 1944 South Kedzie Avenue

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 36


Date of Birth: 09 Apr 1901

Date of Appointment: 1933

Date of Incident: 14 Jan 1937

End of Watch: 14 Jan 1937

Date of Interment: 11 May 1834


Interment Details

 Cemetery: Mount Carmel Cemetery - Hillside, Illinois
 Grave Location: Grave 3, Lot 52, Block 22, Section 26
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # D-1

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 22

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 2, Line 40

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 18-W: 17

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: U.S. Navy


Incident & Biographic Details

Patrolman Arthur James Sullivan, Sr., Star #3911, aged 36 years, was a 3 year, 3 month, 1 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the 23rd District – Marquette.

On January 14, 1937, at 11:45 p.m., Officer Sullivan had just finished his tour of duty and was on his way home. Casimer Kulis, a clerk in a pharmacy located at 3001 West Cermak, was inside a restaurant at Cermak Road and Kedzie Avenue when he observed Joseph Schuster walk by the window. Seeing Sullivan outside he ran and asked for his assistance knowing he was an officer. The clerk pointed out, Joseph Schuster and said, “That man robbed me of $27.00 in the drug store yesterday.“ Officer Sullivan and Kulis followed Schuster into the Kedzie Avenue Station of the Douglas Park “EL” (present day CTA Blue Line Cermak Branch) located at 1944 South Kedzie Avenue. They then followed him up to the platform where Officer Sullivan confronted Schuster with the allegation and he replied, “Officer, I’m a law abiding citizen.“ Schuster protested saying Kulis was mistaken. Not believing Schuster, Officer Sullivan began a pat-down in which he failed to find a loaded revolver Schuster had in a shoulder holster. Officer Sullivan had noticed a hard protrusion but took Schuster word that it was his ribs. Sullivan then began to escort Schuster off of the platform and down the stairs. When they reached the landing, Schuster drew his gun placing it against Sullivan’s temple and pulled the trigger. The gunshot went into Sullivan’s head killing him instantly. Schuster then attempted to shoot Kulis, but his gun misfired. Schuster then fled back up the stairs and jumped onto the tracks. He ran down the tracks a little before climbing down a pillar of the elevated tracks and made good his escape.

Joseph Schuster was apprehended two days later, but wasn’t officially arrested until January 20, 1937. He was charged with the murder and stood trial. On March 3, 1937, Schuster was found guilty of Officer Sullivan’s murder and sentenced to death in the electric chair. On April 6, 1937, Schuster was executed in the electric chair at Cook County Jail.

Officer Sullivan was waked at a chapel located at 3604 North Ogden Avenue. His funeral mass was held at Blessed Sacrament Parish Church located at 3528 South Hermitage Avenue. He was laid to rest on January 18, 1937 in Mount Carmel Catholic Cemetery, 1400 South Wolf Road, Hillside, Illinois. His grave was located in Grave 3, Lot 72, Block 5, Section 30. On October 6, 1937, his grave was relocated to Grave 3, Lot 52, Block 22, Section 26.

Patrolman Arthur James Sullivan, Sr., born April 9, 1901, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on October 13, 1933. Prior to joining the Chicago Police Department he was a Fireman for the City of Chicago.

Officer Sullivan served in the U.S. Navy from May 21, 1917 thru April 4, 1919, was a veteran of World War I and was Honorably Discharged. He was survived by his wife, Katherine A. (nee Emmerick), age 27 and children: Arthur James, Jr., age 2, Elizabeth Mary, age 10, George Arthur, age 8, John Leo, age 15 and Katherine Agnes, age 7 and siblings: John and Mary Barbour. He was preceded in death by his daughter, Eleanor K., age 12.