Charles T. Jones  | Star #3594

Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 29 years, 4 months, 18 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: District 16, 33rd Precinct - Rawson

District of Incident (Present Day): 014 - Shakespeare

Location of Occurrence: 1733 North Honore Street

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 53


Date of Birth: 14 Mar 1859

Date of Appointment: 1883

Date of Incident: 10 Nov 1912

End of Watch: 10 Nov 1912

Date of Interment: 11 May 1834


Interment Details

 Cemetery: Forest Home Cemetery - Forest Park, Illinois
 Grave Location: Section 7
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # B-2

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 5

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 1, Line 41

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 57-W: 7

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: No Military Record Found


Incident & Biographic Details

Patrolman Charles T. Jones, Star #3594, aged 53 years, was a 29 year, 4 month, 18 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to District 16, 33rd Precinct – Rawson.

On November 10, 1912, at 4:00 p.m., Officer Jones, and his partner, Patrolman Charles Gierman, were on patrol in plain clothes. They observed a group of fifteen to twenty men loitering on the corner of Bloomingdale and Girard Streets (present day Honore Street). As the officers approached, the group scattered and ran in different directions. A group of five ran down an alley and into a nearby shed located at 1733 North Girard Street (present day Honore Street). They slammed the door closed and barricaded it. The officers then broke down the door utilizing a nearby piece of fence rail and a struggle ensued. The five occupants then attacked the officers and were able to disarm them. They then used the officer’s revolvers to fire at them. Officer Jones was hit five times and collapsed to the ground bleeding profusely. Officer Gierman wasn’t hit, but was severely beaten unable to pursue the offenders as they fled. By the time he was able to get to his feet the bandits had made good their escape. Officer Gierman then notified the station and summoned an ambulance for his partner. Officer Jones was transported to St. Elizabeth Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival on November 10, 1912.

In the aftermath of the shooting, a police dragnet was set and over 25 detectives were dispatched and ordered to round up any suspects who might possibly be involved in the murder. Within hours the lockup was full and eight men were arrested. Arthur Reich was one of the eight arrested. During the interrogation, he disclosed that he sold Officer Gierman’s gun to a bartender for $3.00. Officers tracked down the bartender and retrieved the weapon a short time later. On November 19, 1912, a coroner’s jury charged Arthur Reich with 1st degree murder and Edward “Bottles“ Rahn was held as accessory. The December 1912 Grand Jury returned a No bill on Edward Rahn. However, on May 1, 1913, Rahn went to trial and was acquitted by Judge Scanlon. On March 3, 1913, Reich was acquitted of murder by Judge Scanlon.

Officer Jones was waked at his residence located at 902 North Ridgeway Avenue. He was laid to rest on November 13, 1912 in Forest Home Cemetery, 863 Desplaines Avenue, Forest Park, Illinois. His grave is located in Section 7.

Patrolman Charles T. Jones, born March 14, 1859, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on June 23, 1883.

Officer Jones was a member of the Court Hamlin No. 3308 Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was survived by his wife, Elizabeth and children: Arthur, Bert, Bessie Wing, Frank, Gilbert, Mabelle Kosin, Percy, and William.

Incident recorded under Chicago Police Historical Homicide Database, Case #3964.