Robert Ernest Marousek Sr. | Star #15453

Death Classification: Performance of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 10 years, 2 months, 14 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: 12th District - Monroe

District of Incident (Present Day): 012 - Near West

Location of Occurrence: 15 South Aberdeen Street

Cause of Death: Illness - Cardiac Arrest

Age at Time of Death: 35


Date of Birth: 05 Jun 1945

Date of Appointment: 1970

Date of Incident: 28 Feb 1981

End of Watch: 28 Feb 1981

Date of Interment: 11 May 1834


Interment Details

 Cemetery: Resurrection Catholic Cemetery - Justice, Illinois
 Grave Location: Grave 1, Lot 34, Block 36, Section 63
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # D-11

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 19

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 3, Line 35

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 16-E: 6

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: Did Not Serve


Incident & Biographic Details

Patrolman Robert Ernest Marousek, Sr., Star #15453, aged 35 years, was an 10 year, 2 month, 14 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the 12th District – Monroe.

On February 28, 1981, at 7:45 a.m., Officer Marousek and his partner, Patrolman William Kent, were working the second watch on beat 1271. Beat 1230, Sergeant Gillen was on patrol and at 7:05 a.m. he observed a man lying on the sidewalk at 15 South Aberdeen Street. Upon further investigation the man, John Doe, was found to be unresponsive. The sergeant request CFD and beat 1275 to report to the scene. CFD responded and was unable to revive the man. Beat 1275 was assigned to handle the transport of the body. At 7:29 a.m., the job was reassigned to Officers Kent and Marousek and they responded to the scene. Upon arrival Officer Marousek and his partner loaded the body into their squadrol and closed the doors. While walking to the front of the squadrol Officer Marousek collapsed to the ground. Officer Kent began performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation on his partner, but despite his efforts Officer Marousek died from a heart attack. Officer Marousek was transported to the University of Illinois Hospital by beat 1273 where he was pronounced dead by Dr. James L. Wade at 8:52 a.m. on February 28, 1981. Following Officer Marousek’s removal to the hospital the John Doe was transferred into beat 1275’s squadrol. He was transported to Cook County Hospital by beat 1275 and pronounced dead on arrival by Dr. Sullivan at 7:55 a.m. on February 28, 1981. Officer Marousek’s death was caused from a heart attack.

Officer Marousek was waked at Blake-Lamb Funeral Home located at 4727 West 103rd Street, Oak Lawn, Illinois. His funeral mass was held at St. Rene Goupil Church located at 6946 West 63rd Place and was laid to rest on March 4, 1981 in Resurrection Catholic Cemetery, 7201 Archer Avenue, Justice, Illinois. His grave is located in Grave 1, Lot 34, Block 36, Section 63.

Patrolman Robert Ernest Marousek, born June 5, 1945, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on December 14, 1970.

Officer Marousek was survived by his wife, Bonnie Lou (nee Tejack); son, Robert Ernest, Jr., age 14 and brother, John.

Incident Recorded under Chicago Police Department RD #C074280 John Doe Hospitalization Case Report and C074415 Officer Marousek Hospitalization Case Report.

On July 23, 2019, Officer Marousek’s star was retired by Superintendent Eddie T. Johnson and enshrined in the Superintendent’s Honored Star Case, located in the lobby at Chicago Police Headquarters, 3510 South Michigan Avenue.