Joseph Francis Ives  | Star #1254

Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 3 years, 8 months, 24 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: District 2-A - Stanton

District of Incident (Present Day): 002 - Wentworth

Location of Occurrence: 3128 South Wabash Avenue

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 27


Date of Birth: 04 Sep 1898

Date of Appointment: 28 Oct 1922

Date of Incident: 23 Jul 1926

End of Watch: 23 Jul 1926

Date of Interment:


Interment Details

 Cemetery: Memorial Park Cemetery - Skokie, Illinois
 Grave Location: Unknown
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # B-10

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 1

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 2, Line 17

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 6-E: 8

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: No Military Record Found


Incident & Biographic Details

Patrolman Theodore J. Anderson, Star #3034, aged 27 years, was a 3 year, 8 month, 24 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to District 2-A – Stanton, Vice Squad.

On July 22, 1926, at 12:00 a.m., Officer Anderson was on foot patrol in plain clothes with his partner, Patrolman Thaddeus Coakley, working the midnight watch. The officers were on the 3100 block of South Wabash Street, where several robberies had taken place over the past few weeks, walking on opposite sides of the street. Officer Anderson observed a suspicious man, Nathaniel “Cry Baby” Davis, alias Joseph Davis, who was lurking in front of a building at 3128 South Wabash Avenue. Anderson stopped Davis for questioning and as he searched him for concealed weapons, Davis produced a revolver. Davis fired a shot, fatally striking the officer causing him to collapse to the sidewalk, as he attempted to run away. Officer Coakley, observing what had occurred, ran across the street firing at Davis. Davis was struck and fell to the ground only a few feet away.

Officer Coakley, thinking Davis was too injured to flee, ran to assist Anderson. Coakley flagged down a taxicab and loaded Anderson into the vehicle. He instructed the cab driver to take him to the nearest hospital. The cab driver set off for Lakeside Hospital but Officer Anderson died en route. When Officer Coakley turned his attention back to Davis, he was gone having fled the scene. He then used a call box to call for back-up.

Sergeant Albert Booth of the Detective Bureau arrived on scene after hearing of Anderson’s death and a manhunt for Davis was initiated. During the search Sergeant Booth stumbled upon a blood trail. He along with Patrolman Ignatius Sheehan followed the trail to the porch of a house on the 3100 block of South Wabash Avenue. Davis was discovered concealed underneath the front porch and was ordered out by Sergeant Booth. Instead, Davis responded opening fire narrowly missing the sergeant. Sergeant Booth returned fire killing Davis.

Officer Anderson was waked at a chapel located at 2340 West Madison Street, his funeral mass was also held at the chapel. He was laid to rest in Memorial Park Cemetery, 9900 Gross Point Road, Skokie, Illinois.

Patrolman Theodore J. Anderson, born September 4, 1898, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on October 28, 1922. He earned 1 Credible Mention during his career.

Officer Anderson was a Master Mason and a member of Boulevard Lodge No. 882 AF&AM and Chicago Camp No. 3052 Modern Woodman. He was survived by his wife, Henrietta (nee Bielema) and parents: Remy Amy (nee Perry) and Harry F.

Incident recorded under Chicago Police Historical Homicide Database, Case #7517.