James Edward Doyle  | Star #9093

Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 7 months, 28 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: Bureau of Administrative Services - Training Division: Unit 044 - Recruit Training

District of Incident (Present Day): 006 - Gresham

Location of Occurrence: 28 West 79th Street

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 34


Date of Birth: 12 Feb 1947

Date of Appointment: 1981

Date of Incident: 05 Feb 1982

End of Watch: 05 Feb 1982

Date of Interment: 11 May 1834


Interment Details

 Cemetery: Holy Sepulchre Cemetery - Alsip, Illinois
 Grave Location: Grave 9, Lot 63, Block 14, Section 8
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # D-7

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 8

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 3, Line 36

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 14-W: 15

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: U.S. Marine Corps


Incident & Biographic Details

Probationary Patrolman James Edward Doyle, Star #9093, aged 34 years, was a 7 month, 28 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Bureau of Administrative Services – Training Division: Unit 044 – Recruit Training, detailed to the 6th District – Gresham.

On February 5, 1982, at 10:00 p.m., Officer Doyle and his partner, Patrolman Robert M. Mantia, age 35, were working beat 621 in a marked police car when a citizen, Charles B. Harris, of 1620 West Warren Boulevard, approached them. Mr. Harris informed the officers that he had been a passenger on the route #79, CTA bus #1072, and recognized a man on board who had previously robbed him and was also wanted on a robbery warrant. Mr. Harris was placed in the officer’s vehicle and they drove down the street looking for the bus. The bus was now parked at 28 West 79th Street near Lafayette Avenue. The officers pulled their squad car in front of the bus to block its path and then exited the car with Mr. Harris. Officer Doyle boarded the bus via the front door and Officer Mantia escorted Mr. Harris to the rear door where he pointed out the offender, Edgar Hope, Jr., age 22, who was carrying two concealed firearms. One of these weapons was previously used during the murder and attempted murder of two Cook County Correctional Officers. At this point Officer Doyle was already walking to the rear of the bus and after the id was made Officer Mantia ran to the front of the bus and boarded. He caught up to his partner who asked which one, meaning which subject had been identified and he replied the one in the gray coat while pointing to him. Officer Mantia drew his service revolver and held it at his side.

Officer Doyle ordered Hope to stand up at which time he protested, claiming he had done nothing. Officer Doyle frisked him and then told him to walk towards the exit. At this point Officer Mantia frisked another subject who had been near Hope as he had been acting suspicious since the officers boarded the bus. While frisking the second subject, Officer Mantia heard a gunshot. As he turned to check on his partner, he observed him falling to the floor with Hope standing over him holding a blue steel revolver in his right hand. Hope began to fire at Officer Mantia and he returned fire striking Hope. None of Hope’s shots struck Officer Mantia. Hope then fled out the front door of the bus, Officer Mantia pursuing out the rear door. Hope was found kneeling outside the bus still holding his revolver and pointing it at Officer Mantia. Hope fired two more rounds and Officer Mantia returned fire, striking him again. Hope then fell into a prone position while Officer Mantia took cover behind a bus shelter. Hope had now switched to a stainless steel revolver, but before he could get another shot off, Officer Mantia fired one more time incapacitating him. Hope was then placed into custody by Officer Mantia. He secured Hope’s Firearms and ran back on the bus to assist his partner. Officer Doyle was shot one time in the right upper chest, the bullet penetrating his lung. He was transported to St. Bernard Hospital where he was pronounced dead by Dr. Jehangar at 10:34 p.m. on February 5, 1982.

Edgar Hope was charged with murder and two counts of robbery. He stood trial, was found guilty and sentenced to death. On January 10, 2003, Governor George Ryan commuted his sentence, along with all 167 inmates on death row, to life in prison. On March 24, 2012, Hope died from liver cancer at the Menard Correctional Center.

The death of Officer Doyle was the catalyst that changed the way recruits were trained by the police department. Tragically the death of Officer Doyle would lead, indirectly, to the death of two other officers. Patrolmen William P. Fahey and Richard James O’Brien were shot and killed as they returned from officer Doyle’s funeral.

Officer Doyle was waked at Blake-Lamb Funeral Home located at 3737 West 79th Street. His funeral mass was held at St. Denis Church located at 8301 South St. Louis Avenue. He was laid to rest on February 9, 1982 in St. Mary Catholic Cemetery, 3801 West 87th Street, Evergreen Park, Illinois. His grave was located in Grave NW, Lot 454, Block –, Section KC. On June 23, 1982 his grave was relocated to Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, 6001 West 111th Street, Alsip, Illinois. The grave is located in Grave 9, Lot 63, Block 14, Section 8

Probationary Patrolman James Edward Doyle, born December 2, 1947, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on June 8, 1981 and was in Recruit Class 81-4C at the Jackson Street Police Academy.

Officer Doyle served in the U.S. Marine Corps, was a veteran of the Vietnam War serving 2 tours and was Honorably Discharged. He was also a member of the Fraternal Order of Police. Officer Doyle was survived by his fiancé, Cathy O’Brien; mother, Rose Marie (nee DeMiere); sister, Mary Jo (Patrick) Berkery and nephew, Patrick. He was preceded in death by his father, Edward W. brother, Infant Doyle, age 0 months and sister, Infant Doyle, Age 0 months. His mother passed away soon after her son’s death by what many described as “a broken heart.“

Incident Recorded Under Chicago Police Department RD #D040748.

On October 20, 1982, Officer Doyle’s star was retired by Superintendent Richard Brzeczek and enshrined in the Superintendent’s Honored Star Case, located in the lobby at Chicago Police Headquarters, 1121 South State Street. In 2000, Chicago Police Headquarters moved to a new facility at 3510 South Michigan Avenue, Officer Doyle’s Star was re-encased in the new headquarters building lobby.

On December 7, 1982, In memory of his sacrifice the Chicago Transit Authority’s Cumberland Avenue Rapid Transit Station, located in 5800 N Cumberland Avenue was dedicated in Officer Doyle’s honor. A dedication plaque was erected to be permanently displayed. Attending the ceremony were members of Doyle’s family.