On March 28, 2021, officers were dispatched to an assignment of a “person stabbed,” at 775 N Michigan. The first officers arrived on the scene, Officers Israel Martinez, Maurizio Cazares, and Armando Garza, and observed a 52-year-old male on the ground that had been stabbed in the throat. These officers immediately provided emergency medical care to the victim’s life-threatening wound and requested an ambulance to stabilize the victim and transport him to Northwestern Hospital. It was later learned that the knife had entered the victim’s neck between the trachea and the carotid artery and the victim would need immediate surgery.

Additional officers arrived on the scene and a witness pointed out a possible suspect running southbound on Michigan Ave. Officers Mario Sanchez and Antonio Perez followed this suspect, now known as Alaxstair Reed, and were able to detain him at 100 E Superior. He was brought back to the scene where he was positively identified as the offender in this incident.

It was further learned that the victim and his 15-year-old son, both who reside in Michigan, had been approached by Alaxstair Reed, who, while displaying a pocket knife, demanded that the victim, “Give me money.”  The victim refused, and Mr. Reed then demanded that the victim give him change. The victim again refused. Mr. Reed then threatened the victim, “If you don’t give anything, I’ll kill you in broad daylight.” The offender then stabbed the victim in the throat and fled the scene.

After reviewing the facts surrounding this incident, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office charged Alaxstair Reed with Attempt Murder and Aggravated Battery. He is presently in Cook County Jail awaiting trial on a no-bond status. Thanks to the quick response and actions of these awardees, the victim survived this vicious attack, and the offender was quickly apprehended.

Congratulations on a job well done. The Chicago Police Memorial Foundation is honored to name these officers our June Officers of the Month presented by Police Mortgage.

Tragically, Officer Martinez died suddenly and unexpectedly 15 days after this incident. Not only was he a Chicago Police Officer, but he also served eight years in the Illinois National Guard and had been deployed to Kuwait. We are proud to present this award to his family members.

Officer Maurizio Cazares
Officer Armando Garza
Officer Mario Sanchez
Officer Antonio Perez
Officer Israel Martinez